With protesters attempting to disrupt the proceedings by shouting "Kill the bill!" and "Shame!", the U.S. Senate voted to approve a motion to begin debate on a health care bill that will ultimately repeal and replace Obamacare.
Republicans alone carried the day, with 50 of the 52 GOP senators casting their votes in favor. Sens. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, and Susan Collins, R-Maine, both voted with Democrats and the Senate's two independents in opposition to the motion. With a 50-50 tie, Vice President Mike Pence cast the deciding vote to approve the motion.
Initially, no Democrats were willing to vote for the measure, but, once it was clear Republicans would have the votes to prevail, they then cast their "no" votes. Following the vote, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who traveled back to Washington, D.C., while recovering from a recent surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain, and who has subsequently been diagnosed with an aggressive form of life-threatening brain cancer, addressed the body.
He rebuked both parties for the acrimonious atmosphere that has developed in the Senate and admonished them to return to "regular order" to create a health care bill that will provide real solutions for Americans. When Democrats began to applaud his unveiled swipe at his own party, he quickly reminded them they did the same thing with Obamacare nine years ago.
You can watch his entire speech in the video clip above.
Following McCain's speech, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., called up the bill's first amendment, which would be a measure to replace the House's American Health Care Act with a straight repeal bill—a bill identical to one adopted by Congress in December of 2015 and vetoed by President Barack Obama. Democrats continued their obstructionism, however, by requiring the entire amendment be read before it could be considered.
In the midst of the clerk's reading, another round of protests began in the gallery. This time, the protesters chanted, "Kill the bill! Let the people live!"
At the current rate, it's going to take a long time to get to a final bill that will warrant a vote.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer