With protesters attempting to disrupt the proceedings by shouting "Kill the bill!" and "Shame!", the U.S. Senate voted to approve a motion to begin debate on a health care bill that will ultimately repeal and replace Obamacare.
Republicans alone carried the day, with 50 of the 52 GOP senators casting their votes in favor. Sens. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, and Susan Collins, R-Maine, both voted with Democrats and the Senate's two independents in opposition to the motion. With a 50-50 tie, Vice President Mike Pence cast the deciding vote to approve the motion.
Initially, no Democrats were willing to vote for the measure, but, once it was clear Republicans would have the votes to prevail, they then cast their "no" votes. Following the vote, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who traveled back to Washington, D.C., while recovering from a recent surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain, and who has subsequently been diagnosed with an aggressive form of life-threatening brain cancer, addressed the body.
He rebuked both parties for the acrimonious atmosphere that has developed in the Senate and admonished them to return to "regular order" to create a health care bill that will provide real solutions for Americans. When Democrats began to applaud his unveiled swipe at his own party, he quickly reminded them they did the same thing with Obamacare nine years ago.
You can watch his entire speech in the video clip above.
Following McCain's speech, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., called up the bill's first amendment, which would be a measure to replace the House's American Health Care Act with a straight repeal bill—a bill identical to one adopted by Congress in December of 2015 and vetoed by President Barack Obama. Democrats continued their obstructionism, however, by requiring the entire amendment be read before it could be considered.
In the midst of the clerk's reading, another round of protests began in the gallery. This time, the protesters chanted, "Kill the bill! Let the people live!"
At the current rate, it's going to take a long time to get to a final bill that will warrant a vote.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details