As promised, the House of Representatives voted and passed both the No Sanctuary for Criminals Act and Kate's Law, two key pieces of legislation President Donald Trump has been eager to see on his desk.
Kate's Law increases criminal penalties for illegal immigrants who repeatedly re-enter the country illegally, and is named for Kate Steinle, who was killed by an illegal immigrant who had been deported five times. The No Sanctuary for Criminals Act restricts taxpayer grant money to cities that prevent their police from turning over dangerous criminal aliens to federal authorities.
But, those bills still need to get through the Senate, what has been mired by Democrat obstructionism. After the House passed both bills, however, the president used his "bully pulpit" to lobby directly to the American people for the Senate to get on board and pass the bills.
"During my campaign, I met many grieving families who all had the same plea: lawmakers must put the safety of American families first," he said. "Today, I applaud the House for passing two crucial measures to save and protect American lives. These were bills I campaigned on and that are vital to our public safety and national security...
"Every year, countless Americans are victimized, assaulted, and killed by illegal immigrants who have been deported multiple times. It is time for these tragedies to end ... Sanctuary cities are releasing violent criminals, including members of the bloodthirsty MS-13 gang, back onto our streets every single day. Innocent Americans are suffering unthinkable violence as a result of these cities' reckless actions."
The president said the House bill also includes two provisions known as Grant's Law and Sarah's Law, which prevent the release of dangerous criminals awaiting removal proceedings. They are named for two slain Americans whose parents he spent time with during the 2016 presidential campaign. He said enacting these laws will make communities safer, and without them, dangerous criminals will be allowed back into American communities, schools, and neighborhoods, putting everyone at risk.
"Now that the House has acted, I urged the Senate to take up these bills, pass them, and send them to my desk," he added. "I am calling on all lawmakers to vote for these bills and to save American lives."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details