As millions of Israeli and diaspora Jews marked Israel's 69th Independence Day, the United Nations cultural body UNESCO voted Tuesday to adopt its latest resolution denying Jewish ties to Jerusalem.
The resolution—which passed in a 22-10 vote, with 23 abstentions—states that "all legislative and administrative measures and actions taken by Israel, the occupying Power, which have altered or purport to alter the character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and in particular the 'basic law' on Jerusalem, are null and void and must be rescinded forthwith."
The 10 countries voting against the resolution were the U.S., U.K., Italy, Netherlands, Lithuania, Greece, Paraguay, Ukraine, Togo and Germany. Among those voting in favor of the measure were Brazil, China, Egypt, Iran, Russia, South Africa and Sweden.
Italy was the only European Union country to publicly oppose the resolution ahead of the vote.
"Our opinion is very clear," Italian Foreign Minister Angelino Alfano said. "UNESCO cannot be the place for a permanent ideological confrontation."
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Tuesday, "There is no nation in the world for whom Jerusalem is more holy than for the Jewish people," adding that UNESCO "is trying to bury this truth. We will uphold it."
Israel's Ambassador to the U.N. Danny Danon called the resolution "distorted" and "shameful," and said it will "not change the fact that Jerusalem is the eternal capital of the Jewish people."
Last October, UNESCO passed two separate resolutions ignoring Jewish and Christian ties to Jerusalem's holy sites.
This article was originally published at JNS.org. Used with permission.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details