Even with a 52-seat Republican Party majority, the U.S. Senate isn't as pro-life as you might think.
Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell had to go to the bullpen, pulling in Vice President Mike Pence to cast the deciding vote on a joint resolution to disallow an Obama administration rule that required states to provide Title X funding to abortion providers—much of it going to Planned Parenthood. More than a dozen states have already adopted laws that pull that funding, but under the Obama rule—enacted in the final weeks of his presidency—states would have to forfeit the federal funding in order to fulfill their commitments to voters to fully "defund" Planned Parenthood.
Ahead of the vote, the Family Research Council urged its members to put pressure on their senators to vote in favor of the resolution. That wasn't enough to convince Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) to vote for the measure.
With all 48 Democrats and independent Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Angus King (I-Maine) also voting against the resolution, the vote was deadlocked at 50-50. Pence cast the deciding vote in favor of the measure, which now goes to President Donald Trump for his signature—which should be a foregone conclusion, given Pence's vote.
Because the resolution was identical to one passed in February in the House of Representatives, under provisions of the Congressional Review Act, it was not subject to Senate cloture rules and could not be filibustered by Democrats.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details