A federal court ordered North Carolina State University to immediately halt its policy that requires Christian students to obtain a permit before gathering.
Last week, the Alliance Defending Freedom-allied attorney Edmund LaCour of Bancroft PLLC represented the Grace Christian Life student group in a hearing before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. Two days later, Chief Judge James C. Dever III issued his order, which applies to any kind of non-commercial student speech or communication anywhere on campus.
"Because the only permit required for free speech on a public university campus is the First Amendment, we welcome the court's decision to put a stop to NC State's policy," ADF Senior Counsel Tyson Langhofer said. "NC State is acting inconsistently with its own calling as a marketplace of ideas with this unconstitutional restriction on free speech. Students of any political, religious, or ideological persuasion should be able to freely and peacefully speak with their fellow students about their views without interference from government officials who may prefer one view over another."
According to the preliminary injunction order, it was issued because Grace Christian Life has established that:
- it is likely to succeed on the merits of its claim that North Carolina State University's Non-Commercial Solicitation policy (including the permit requirement in the policy) facially violates the First Amendment;
- it is likely to suffer irreparable harm absent preliminary relief;
- the balance of the equities tips in plaintiff's favor; and
- a preliminary injunction is in the public interest.
While the order is not the end of the case, it signals a likelihood that it will soon be settled. ADF attorneys say it is "unlikely" the university will appeal Dever's order.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details