Elections have consequences, and no group understands that better than the Christians living in Louisiana.
Wednesday, Gov. John Bel Edwards issued Executive Order JBE 2016-11, which carries with it the title "The Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Order." It orders that all state agencies must consider "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" protected classes for the purposes of providing services, hiring and administering purchase contracts.
It also completely rescinded "The Marriage and Conscience Order" executed by Edwards' predecessor, Bobby Jindal. The former governor implemented the order following the Supreme Court's decision in Obergefell v. Hodges after the state legislature failed to adopt a law that would have provided protections to officials who did not want to be required to participate in same-sex 'marriages.'
"We respect our fellow citizens for their beliefs, but we do not discriminate based on our disagreements," Edwards said after signing the order. "I believe in giving every Louisianan the opportunity to be successful and to thrive in our state."
Pro-Family groups were quick to respond, as well.
"Ironically, while other states are seeking to protect people of faith, Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards seems to be using his executive power to silence those same people of faith," Gene Mills, president of the Louisiana Family Forum, said.
Edwards had promised to execute just such an order while campaigning for governor. He also promised to rescind Jindal's previous order, if elected. When he hadn't followed through during the first three months of his administration, he began to see backlash from LGBT activists.
Those complaints have been silenced, as has opposition to same-sex "marriage," in Louisiana now.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details