Israel was never a fan of the Iran nuclear deal, nor were many members of Congress who have advocated for that nation.
And now one Democrat is bucking both his president and the leading contenders for this party's upcoming presidential nomination. Israelis are smiling—as are several Republican presidential candidates—while President Obama, and probably former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, are likely fuming.
"There's general agreement we have to extend the sanctions against Iran, and we need to do it before they expire at the end of this year," Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.), Ranking Member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in a report from The Times of Israel.
Restoring sanctions against Iran was the top request at this year's AIPAC spring policy conference held last month in Washington, D.C. Pro-Israel members of Congress in both parties have agreed it needs to happen, but disagree on how to go about doing it.
Sanctions were first imposed on Iran in 1996 and renewed in 2006. They must be renewed by Congress every 10 years. Democrats favor renewing the sanctions as "snap back" position, should Iran violate the terms of the nuclear deal ironed out this year between Iran, several European nations, and the U.S.
Republicans, however, want the entire nuclear deal scrapped, the original sanctions restored, and new sanctions added, citing Iran's role as a state sponsor of Islamist attacks on the West.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details