One year ago, a Republican governor faced immense opposition to a bill that would "discriminate against the LGBT community," according to many opponents.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott unflinchingly signed that bill—the Pastor Protection Act—into law.
The outrage was just as intense as what we saw the last few weeks in Georgia and North Carolina. One opponent of the legislation even went so far as to pen an op-ed for The Hill titled "Mixing Christianity and Politics Is Killing the Church."
What those opponents didn't tell anyone is that the Texas bill, just like the Georgia and North Carolina legislation, was bipartisan. Yes, they originated from Republican legislators, but when the final votes were tallied, Democrats voted in favor of religious freedom too.
In fact, some of them in Texas openly welcomed it.
"I truly believe that there is space for LGBT justice and religious freedom and this, I feel, is the space for that," said state Rep. Mary González (D-Clint), who calls herself the only "openly pansexual" elected official in the U.S.
Her colleague, state Rep. Celia Israel (D-Austin), who is a lesbian and a Catholic, urged the other House members to vote in favor of the legislation. Saying she planned to someday "marry" her long-time lesbian partner, she said pastors who didn't agree shouldn't have to worry about being forced to do something they opposed.
In fact, Equality Texas even dropped its opposition to the bill. It passed with overwhelming support—only two representatives voted against it.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details