Thursday, March 10, Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed House Bill 43, also known as the Pastor Protection Act, into law.
The bill, drafted by state Rep. Scott Plakon (R-Longwood) before the U.S. Supreme Court issued its Obergefell v. Hodges opinion last summer, protects clergy, churches and religious organizations and their employees from civil action for refusing to perform same-sex marriages. Plakon said he crafted the bill based on similar legislation passed into law in Texas.
The law provides that churches or religious organizations, related organizations or certain individuals may not be required to solemnize any marriage or provide services, accommodations, facilities, goods or privileges for related purposes if such action would violate sincerely held religious beliefs. Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, recently spoke at a rally in Tallahassee advocating for the bill, when the Florida House of Representatives was considering its legislation.
"I am pleased that the Pastor Protection Act is now law in Florida," he said at the time. "However, more protections are needed beyond just pastors and churches performing weddings. We should pass broad legislation that protects the religious freedom and conscience of all people who refuse to be conscripted into service of the so-called LGBT agenda.
"This assault on marriage is really an attempt to obliterate Judeo-Christian morality, to destroy marriage and family, and is an attack on God, who created male and female."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details