If approved, a bill currently working its way through the Kentucky Legislature could be the first step in reversing more than 50 years of educational policy in the U.S.
According to news reports last week out of the Bluegrass State, Senate Bill 278, which was approved unanimously by the Senate Education Committee, would allow "Bible literacy" courses to be taught in public schools. The elective course would be taught in the social studies domain.
The course would focus on the Hebrew Scriptures, Old Testament of the Bible, the New Testament or a combination of the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament of the Bible. It also would require that the course provide students with knowledge of biblical content, characters, poetry and narratives that are prerequisites to understanding contemporary society and culture, including literature, art, music, mores, oratory and public policy.
The bill also permits students to use various translations of the Bible for the course. It would not, however, "endorse, favor or promote, or disfavor or show hostility toward, any particular religion or nonreligious faith or religious perspective."
"Senate Bill 278 would not teach the Bible. It would teach about the Bible," State Sen. Gerald A. Neal (D-Louisville), chairman of the Minority Caucus, said to WKYT-TV. "The Bible isn't something we should run away from or run to."
The bill was sponsored by State Sen. Robin L. Webb (D-Grayson), who told WKYT she had "unanimous support" from her colleagues. She introduced the bill March 3, and said the Bible is part of our historical context.
"I remember what it looked like when I had it as literature and it was just like the dissection and discussion of any other book," she said. "I'm optimistic, cautiously optimistic, like I am with any bill here."
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.