With the omnibus spending bill set for a vote Friday, it seems likely the majority of votes in favor for the legislation will come from the Democratic Party, not from Republicans who hold a majority in both chambers.
Wednesday, the House Freedom Caucus made a last-ditch effort to amend the proposal to include policy riders that had been included in initial GOP negotiations with Democrats. Those amendments were shot down by a coalition of Republicans loyal to House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Democrats.
The 40-member Freedom Caucus is now expected to vote against the bill.
"There's good stuff in there," Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) told The Hill on Wednesday evening, pointing to a GOP-favored provision lifting the 40-year ban on crude oil exports, "but I just can't get myself to do it."
Key aspects of the spending bill that are likely to rankle many Christian conservatives:
• It increases the budget deficit—leading to a larger national debt—by hundreds of billions of dollars.
• Funding for Planned Parenthood continues; approximately $286 million in Title X family planning funds—most of which goes directly to the abortion provider—remains intact.
• It provides funding for some of President Obama's initiatives relative to the Paris climate deal.
• It makes it much more difficult to institute a full repeal of ObamaCare, a key Republican 2014 campaign promise.
U.S. Sen. Pete Sessions (R-Texas) blasted the deal. During a floor speech Wednesday, he said this is why American voters are "in open rebellion" with Washington.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details