In a letter sent to U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), who serves as Chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, the Congressional Budget Office says it has reviewed proposed legislation to allow the use of Presidential Election Campaign Fund monies to defray the expenses of nominating conventions.
In the letter, CBO Director Keith Hall says the proposed legislation would reverse 2012 legislation that prevents PECF appropriations from being used to fund the nominating conventions. Under current law, the PECF may be used to match "qualifying political contributions" to presidential campaigns.
"About $1 million was spent from the fund to match qualifying campaign contributions in 2012, and a similar amount is projected to be spent in 2016 because the presidential candidates of the major parties are not expected to seek such funds," Hall wrote.
Money from the PECF may also be used to fund pediatric health research. The same law that precludes the use of funds for nominating conventions—the Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act—allows their use for such research activities. In 2015, about $13 million was allocated for that purpose.
The PECF receives about $40 million annual from taxpayers who voluntarily earmarked a portion of their income taxes for the fund. The designation does not change a taxpayer's tax liability or refund.
The PECF has grown to about $290 million. Wasserman Schultz's proposed legislation would come with a big price tag.
"CBO estimates that each of the major political parties would spend about $20 million from the PECF in 2016, if the proposed legislation was enacted," Hall wrote. "Because those amounts are not expected to be spent under current law, CBO estimates that this legislation would increase direct spending by $40 million in 2016."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details