Chairman of the House Oversight Committee Jason Chaffetz is throwing his hat into the ring to replace John Boehner as speaker of the House, according to Politico.
The Utah Republican will face off against the current front-runner, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and Rep. Daniel Webster, R-Fla.
The news comes after McCarthy made controversial comments about the Benghazi committee investigation.
In response to those comments, Chaffetz said McCarthy should apologize.
The California Republican made an "absolutely inappropriate statement," Chaffetz told CNN.
Chaffetz was elected into Congress in 2008 and is currently leading investigations into whether Planned Parenthood should be stripped of its taxpayer dollars in light of a series of undercover videos released by the Center for Medical Progress.
Prior to being named chairman of the Oversight Committee, he played key roles in investigating the Benghazi terrorist attack, the Fast and Furious gun-running operation, IRS targeting of conservatives, and the Secret Service.
Chaffetz, 48, was criticized by the conservative wing of the Republican party in June after asking Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., to resign from his chairmanship of the Government Operations subcommittee or be removed.
Conservatives complained of "a culture of punishment and fear" created by Boehner and his leadership team.
Shortly after asking him to resign, Chaffetz reinstated Meadows as subcommittee chairman.
"Obviously I believe in Mark Meadows or I would not have appointed him to this position in the first place," Chaffetz said in a joint statement with Meadows. "It is in the best interest of the committee to move forward together. Therefore, I have asked Mark to continue in his role as subcommittee chairman."
Boehner told Republicans last week he would be resigning from Congress, effective Oct. 30. This week, he announced that elections for the next speaker of the House will take place Oct. 8.
Kelsey Harkness is a news producer at The Daily Signal. Send an email to Kelsey.
For the original article, visit The Daily Signal.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details