United States Trade Representative Amb. Robert Lighthizer was sworn in by Vice President Mike Pence at a ceremony at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on Monday, putting into place the final top-level official who will advocate for President Donald Trump's "America First" economic agenda.
"President Donald Trump made a promise to the American people—to fight for trade that puts America first," the vice president said. "And in choosing Robert Lighthizer as the U.S. Trade Representative, President Trump is keeping his promise to put America first.
"Robert Lighthizer is uniquely qualified for this vital role because he's frankly one of the leading experts on trade in all of America."
After taking his Oath of Office, Lighthizer gave the following remarks:
"It's a great privilege to be in this administration, but to have the vice president administer the oath is a special privilege. And I would like to thank you for all you do, including particularly Thursday's speech, which I thought was quite meaningful and very important.
"I would like to thank the Chairman of the Agriculture Committee, Sen. Roberts, who is really important because he's on the finance committee, however.
"And I'd like to thank Secretary Ross, who was here, but mostly Sen. Dole, who I—when I had my hearing I said, 'I wouldn't be here but for you.' And he said, 'No, no, no.' I said, 'People say that, but it's in fact true this time.'
"So you're a great American and a great mentor, and I'm blessed to have you as a friend.
"My close friends, many of whom are here today, know that I read a lot of history and particularly presidential history. And I believe that when all the dust of partisan vitriol has settled and serious people provide thoughtful analysis, the Trump administration will be ranked as one of the greatest in American history.
"I am grateful to have been asked by the President to serve him on this very important issue of international trade. I further believe that when my grandchildren, who are here today, talk to their grandchildren, they will say that President Trump permanently reversed the dangerous trajectory of American trade, put America first, made our farmers, ranchers, and workers richer, and the country safer.
"And I hope I can make some small contribution to that accomplishment."
Watch the entire ceremony in the video clip above.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details