Supporters of President Donald Trump are now taking a page out of the liberals' playbook, organizing protests in each of the 10 state capitols of the "Red State Democrats" who face re-election in 2018.
Their goal is to get Trump supporters in those states the president won to "Gather for Gorsuch" and urge their Democrat senators to vote in favor of cloture on Thursday night, ending debate and allowing the full Senate to vote on Judge Neil Gorsuch's confirmation to the Supreme Court. In an email promoting the "Gather for Gorsuch" event to be held in Tallahassee, Florida, obtained by Charisma Caucus, the Trump-Pence campaign committee called the judge a "man of great integrity who will be a fair and impartial," and who deserves a vote.
"Unfortunately, Senators are being pressured by their fellow Democrats to filibuster the confirmation vote scheduled on Friday, April 7. Even Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has stated that he will not support a filibuster," the email states. "We know one of the reasons you supported President Trump was because he promised to nominate judges who uphold the Constitution, such as Judge Gorsuch. Now you can directly demonstrate your support for the president's first nomination to the Supreme Court by Gathering for Gorsuch."
The Tallahassee event is targeting Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Fla.), one of the 10 "Red State Democrats" up for reelection in 2018. It is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. EDT, but participants have been encouraged to "show up early."
The email also encourages participants to act appropriately at the event. It includes the following tips:
- Be Early—Show up early to find a good place for you and your family.
- Be Creative—Feel free to make your own appropriate signage to help spread our message! We encourage you to be creative while also following the other suggestions.
- Show Your Patriotism—Demonstrate your love of our country by wearing red, white and blue, or your favorite Make America Great Again hat!
- Remain Peaceful—If there are protesters at the gathering, do not engage them directly—let their antics represent them, and let your peaceful demeanor represent all Trump supporters. Peaceful demonstrations are a cornerstone of our democracy—the First Amendment does not grant any one the right to incite violence.
- Share Your Support—When speaking to the media, share your passion and support for President Trump, Vice President Pence and the policies they are enacting to Make America Great Again!
- Obey Local Laws—Most jurisdictions allow peaceful assembly in public spaces without a special event permit, so long as participants do not: Block pedestrian passage on sidewalks; block entrances to buildings; or use amplified sound. Also, signs should be held in your hands or on cardboard tubing and should not be affixed to wooden sticks or metal poles. When in doubt, consult the local police—we love law enforcement!
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!