In his August newsletter, Dr. James Dobson wrote a first-hand account of his meeting in Manhattan with Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump in June.
"There were 1,000 Christian leaders at the New York Marriott Marquis Hotel that day, where most of us stayed," he wrote. "Our purpose was not to endorse Mr. Trump, but to have a candid 'conversation' with him. We wanted to ask the candidate specific questions about his personal views and policies, and to ascertain how he will govern, if given the opportunity."
Dobson wrote the day "began early" at the Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue with "about 40 well-known Christian leaders" meeting with Trump in his 25th floor conference room. Among that group, about 25 were asked to serve on his Evangelical Executive Advisory Board.
"The initial meeting at the Trump Tower opened with him speaking briefly, followed by introductory remarks from Jerry Falwell, Jr., and a prayer by Franklin Graham," he wrote. "I was then given the opportunity to pose the first question, as follows:
"Mr. Trump, I'm sure you know that the Pilgrims came to our shores in 1620, seeking freedom to worship as their consciences dictated. Their passion for Jesus Christ became ingrained in the American soul, and greatly influenced our Founding Fathers as they formed a new government in the 18th century. These men wrote and passed the historic U.S. Constitution, and added to it a Bill of Rights shortly thereafter. It consisted of 10 Amendments guaranteeing specific liberties for the American people. There has never been anything like it in the history of the world. The first of the 10 Amendments secured religious liberties for all citizens and provided the foundation for the other nine.
"In recent years, however, there has been a growing assault on these rights, notably religious liberty. Our Supreme Court has struck down Bible reading in schools and even prohibited prayer to an unidentified God. Then, they banned the posting of the Ten Commandments on bulletin boards. From there, the limitation on religious liberties has become even more egregious.
"Most recently, President Obama and Hillary Clinton have been referring to 'freedom of worship,' rather than 'freedom of religion.' Do you understand their motive? They are suggesting that Americans are free to worship in their churches and synagogues, but not in the public square.
"Sir, if you are elected president, how will you protect our religious liberties? Will we have to fight another revolutionary war to secure those rights to worship, think and speak?"
Dobson continued with Trump's answer, as well as the media firestorm that erupted later in the day. Click here to read the entire dispatch.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details