In 1976, after falling just short of winning the Republican Party presidential nomination, Ronald Reagan gave a speech that still echoes in the memories of many Republicans.
It was a speech in which the California governor played the peacemaker. Rather than continuing to fuel the existing divisions in the GOP, he called for unity while continuing to champion the conservative cause.
Four years later, his political ambitions were far from crushed. In fact, he led a conservative revolution that still reverberates even today.
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), a product of that revolution, finds himself in a similar situation 40 years later. The question that remains unanswered, however, is whether or not he wants to play the role of peacemaker.
A speech he gave Wednesday afternoon in Cleveland offered no real insights, either. Cruz offered no support whatsoever for Republican nominee Donald Trump, but didn't attack him. He suggested he was seeking a conservative victory in November, but told his supporters they needed to follow their conscience.
The senator will be one of the prime time speakers Wednesday night, but gave no hint as to what he will say, other than to declare he would be championing conservative principles. Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort said that even if Cruz doesn't actually endorse the party's nominee, he suspects it will be clear that he supports Trump's candidacy.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details