The high-stakes runoff in Georgia today is the focus of the nation. While the results won't settle all aspects of the 2020 election, they will determine which party governs the Senate.
With the House majority being Democrat, and Nancy Pelosi newly reelected as speaker, today's runoff in Georgia is considered crucial.
Before the polls opened today, more than 3 million votes were cast, nearly 1 million mail-in ballots and the remainder through early, in-person voting.
Twitter and other social media platforms are littered with speculation on the runoff results—from voters and the candidates.
CHANGE IS COMING— Jon Ossoff (@ossoff) January 4, 2021
Responding to Ossoff,
You have zero chance— PRESIDENT-ELECT SIMPLY (@simplycaptiv8in) January 4, 2021
Polls opened at 7 a.m. today and will begin closing at 7 p.m. (EST). Anyone in line at the polls at 7 p.m. will be allowed to vote.
Major news outlets have reporters stationed in Georgia to cover incoming results for the race between incumbent and Republican Sen. David Perdue and Jon Ossoff and between Republican Sen. Kelly Loeffler and Rev. Raphael Warnock.
In November, Perdue, who is seeking his second term in the Senate, won the majority of the votes at 49.7% over Ossoff's 47.9%—a difference of about 88,000 votes.
In the second race, a special election that contained numerous candidates, Loeffler received 25.9% of the vote, and Warnock tallied 32.9%.
Under Georgia law, candidates must receive 50% or more to win the election.
To expedite election results, the Georgia State Election Board required counties to begin scanning and processing ballots at least a week before the election; however, they are not allowed to begin counting or tabulating votes until the polls close.
What's at Stake
If either of the Republican candidates win their race, Republicans maintain control of the Senate and the ability to block incoming legislation. If the Democrats win both races, they will create a 50-50 split in the Senate, with Democrat Kamala Harris potentially acting as tiebreaker.
Republicans have controlled the Senate since the beginning of the 114th Congress in 2015.
"This may sound overly dramatic, but the truth is, because of your vast numbers in Georgia, you hold in your hands the deciding vote that will determine if the United States of America sustains its foundation as a constitutional republic or goes the way of progressive socialism," says senor Calvary Chapel Chino Hills Senior Pastor Jack Hibbs, in an appeal to voters. "Your vote, your act of doing good, is the only thing standing in the way of a complete progressive leftist takeover of our federal government."
Charismanews.com will be following the results and releasing an update at 8 a.m. tomorrow, Jan. 6.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details