The Daily Caller was reporting Thursday morning that the federal government is investigating why Department of Homeland Security agents were hacking one state's election system.
In the report by The DC's Richard Pollock, agents broke into the Georgia state governmental network, including its election system. In a letter to Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp, DHS Inspector General John Roth indicated he is investigating 10 alleged "scanning events."
"The U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has forwarded us your prior correspondence with Secretary [Jeh] Johnson and President-elect Trump on this issue and has asked us to investigate the allegations raised in your letters," the Jan. 17-dated letter states. The letter requests the web logs and network logs of the Georgia Secretary of State Office's system for 10 specific dates to aid in furthering Roth's investigation.
Former DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson and Kemp have clashed over a federal government designation of election systems as "critical infrastructure." Kemp called it "political power play to federalize elections."
Johnson sparked a firestorm among state-level secretaries of state—Democrat and Republican alike—when he announced Jan. 6, two weeks before leaving office, that he was unilaterally issuing the designation.
If Roth's investigation shows Johnson or his subordinates deliberately used federal cybersecurity resources to penetrate a state election system in order to pressure a state official over a policy dispute, it could represent a significant scandal for Johnson and for the outgoing Obama administration.
The "scans" are attacks to test security weaknesses in a network. It's called the electronic equivalent of "rattling doorknobs" to see if they're unlocked — or on a darker side, to send a message to a recipient.
Click here to read the entire report.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details