Tuesday, a group of prominent conservative leaders—including several evangelical leaders—drafted an open letter to Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting Donald Trump in which they implored him to nominate a conservative as his running mate.
The letter states:
With less than a week to go until the Republican National Convention opens, we believe your number one job is to unite conservatives and center-right Republicans behind your candidacy.
This is the most important decision you will make between now and Election Day and if you don't get it right it will crash your campaign and crush your chances of defeating Hillary Clinton.
And getting it right means avoiding candidates for Vice President who will alienate conservatives and call into question your commitment to govern according to conservative principles.
We therefore urge you to avoid considering candidates with anti-conservative records, such as New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, Tennessee Senator Bob Corker, Ohio Governor John Kasich, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and others who have failed to defend our constitutional liberties and use the power the Constitution bestowed upon them to stop President Obama's fundamental transformation of America. We also urge you to not consider pro-choice candidates such as Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn.
Mr. Trump, in the past several election cycles millions of conservative voters have stayed home because the Republican candidate for President failed to campaign as a conservative. Conservatives are not a wing of the Republican Party that can be bought-off or mollified with interest group-type favors—we are the Republican Party.
To close the deal with right-of-center voters, your choice of Vice President is the clearest and most important signal you can send to conservatives that you will govern as a conservative.
We therefore urge you, as partners in the new populist-conservative coalition that will elect you President if it remains united, to choose a principled limited government constitutional conservative as your running mate.
The letter was signed by nearly two dozen conservative leaders, including:
- Richard A. Viguerie, chairman of ConservativeHQ.com;
- Brent Bozell, founder and president of the Media Research Center;
- Foster Friess, conservative Christian megadonor;
- Rick Scarborough, president of Vision Action America;
- Dick and Rich Bott of Bott Radio Network; and
- Ginni Thomas, president of Liberty Consulting
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details