Country music legend Dolly Parton caught the attention of many when the New York Times published an article that seemed to imply she was endorsing Hillary Clinton.
And, taken out of context, that's more or less what she said:
"Well, I think that that would be wonderful. Hillary might make as good a president as anybody ever has. I think no matter if it's Hillary or Donald Trump, we're gonna be plagued with PMS either way — presidential mood swings! But I personally think a woman would do a great job. I think Hillary's very qualified. So if she gets it, I'll certainly be behind her."
However, the Times report acknowledges it was publishing excerpts from a lengthy interview. In the published context, Parton was asked about women in the music business, and then she was asked, "How do you feel about a female presidential nominee?"
Tuesday, Parton—whose fan base is as diverse as it is loyal—released a statement to clarify her remarks, which said, in part:
This morning while I was watching the news I saw many reports that I had endorsed Hillary Clinton. My comment about supporting a woman in the White House was taken out of context. I have not endorsed Hillary Clinton nor Donald Trump.
Parton, in her typically self-deprecating manner, said that if she was going to "become political," she would run for office herself. Then, she reiterated she still has not yet decided who she will vote for in November.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details