During a town hall event hosted by CNN, former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, a former Republican who is now the Libertarian Party candidate for president, was asked by "undecided voter" Amanda Lindemann about his faith.
"Do you pray and do you believe in God?" she asked.
"I have to admit to praying once in a while, and, yes, I do believe in God," Johnson said. Asked by the moderator, Chris Cuomo, Johnson's running mate, former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld (also a former Republican) said his answer was "same on both."
Cuomo then asked Johnson what he wanted voters to know about him in terms of religion.
"I mean, is the answer it's none of your business?" he asked. "Or do you go to church? Do you ascribe to a particular religious philosophy?"
"I was raised a Christian," Johnson replied. "I do not attend church. And if there's one thing that I've taken away from Christianity, do unto others as you would have others do unto you."
Cuomo then asked why Johnson doesn't attend church.
"I'm one of those that just—the God that I speak to is not—doesn't have a particular religion," he said.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.