With Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) saying he couldn't see himself supporting Donald Trump as the Republican presidential nominee, and with the presumptive GOP nominee saying he could win in November without the speaker's help, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus put together a meeting Thursday.
And while no one expected that meeting to generate an immediate endorsement, it did however, result in some positive news for Republicans hoping to see the party unify after a particularly contentious nominating process. Priebus emerged from the meeting with the following message:
"The meeting was great. It was a very positive step toward party unity."
After the meeting between Trump, Ryan and Priebus, the presumptive presidential nominee and speaker attended a second meeting with congressional Republican leaders. Following that meeting, they issued a joint statement:
"The United States cannot afford another four years of the Obama White House, which is what Hillary Clinton represents. That is why it's critical that Republicans unite around our shared principles, advance a conservative agenda, and do all we can to win this fall.
"With that focus, we had a great conversation this morning. While we were honest about our few differences, we recognize that there are also many important areas of common ground. We will be having additional discussions, but remain confident there's a great opportunity to unify our party and win this fall, and we are totally committed to working together to achieve that goal.
"We are extremely proud of the fact that many millions of new voters have entered the primary system, far more than ever before in the Republican Party's history. This was our first meeting, but it was a very positive step toward unification."
Bringing Trump and Ryan together, however, is only the beginning. Deep divisions still exist, particularly between supporters of Trump and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz. It is likely the fence-mending work will continue up to—and possibly even beyond—the Republican National Convention to be held in Cleveland in mid-July.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details