In a report published Tuesday, several conservative Christian leaders signaled their efforts to help presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump will hinge almost entirely on his choice of running mate.
Politico discussed the likely Trump nomination with Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council, Penny Nance of Concerned Women for America and Bob Vander Plaats of The FAMiLY LEADER. All of them played important roles in U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz's presidential campaign.
Each of them said the decision to mobilize their members would be based on Trump's running mate:
"Who's he going to surround himself with? The first indication is going to be vice presidential choice," said Bob Vander Plaats, who served as Ted Cruz's national co-chairman and is revered in Iowa evangelical circles ...
Perkins noted that Republican Sen. John Boozman of Arkansas had already been hit with an ad that sought to tie him to Trump's past inflammatory comments about women.
"That is going to be used to suppress evangelical support and turnout for him," Perkins said. "He has to counter that. The only way he counters that is ...[with a] running mate, how he vets judicial nominees and what does he do with the party platform." ...
"There's a big difference between me saying I don't think we should do a third party, and giving a full-throated endorsement in which I actually work for him and get out the vote for him," Nance said, saying that she's not at all committed yet to doing the latter. "It remains to be seen how involved our ladies will be.
"Door-to-door leaflets, sign waving, that's the thing my ladies do," she continued. "We're the legit activists. We do it for free. Phone banking, hours and hours of phone banking, that's a necessary part of the campaign. You can't buy that."
The faith leaders didn't, however, offer any suggestions about who that nominee should be. For his part, Trump has already indicated he has a short list of five or six potential running mates, which is focused on career politicians. He said he will likely make his decision as the national convention gets underway in mid-July.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details