Over the course of the Republican presidential nomination process, Donald Trump—now the presumptive nominee—has taken a lot of heat from Dr. Russell Moore, president of the South Baptist Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission.
Moore says Trump isn't a Christian and those who vote for him aren't being good Christians. In a tweet posted to Twitter on Monday morning, Trump said Moore isn't a very good evangelical:
Russell Moore is truly a terrible representative of Evangelicals and all of the good they stand for. A nasty guy with no heart!
The tweet quickly went viral, picking up more than 4,600 likes and nearly 1,400 retweets in just five hours. Not everyone was supportive of the GOP candidate's comments, though, prompting a war of words between those who supported Moore and those who supported Trump.
Several Trump supporters referred to an article published in 2013 by The Blaze that linked the Evangelical Immigration Table, a pro-immigration reform group that included both liberal and conservative faith leaders that Moore helps lead. EIT is an extension of the National Immigration Forum, which receives funding from George Soros.
EIT members have denied that money from Soros funds their activities. But, money is fungible, and the connection between Soros—who advocates for an open-borders policy in the U.S.—and EIT admittedly exists. The Blaze article concludes:
While the EIT's funding may be more indirect, its founding organization — the NIF, a non-religious group — is most definitely an Open Society recipient. As a result, EIT's ties to Soros money are valid to point out, however the extent to which the funding is touching EIT outreach projects may not be as strong and direct as it was with these other groups.
Moore initially responded to Trump's by calling them "sad." He then responded with just a notation of Scripture: 1 Kings 18:17-19. Those verses read:
When Ahab saw Elijah, Ahab said to him, "Are you he that troubles Israel?"
And he answered, "I have not troubled Israel, but you and your father's house, in that you have forsaken the commandments of the Lord and you have followed the Baals. Now send word out and gather for me all Israel on Mount Carmel, along with the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah who eat at Jezebel's table." (MEV)
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details