Friday evening, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan's staff announced that he will meet with presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump in Washington on Thursday.
The report came just hours after it was reported that Trump's campaign had reached out to Ryan's staff following his big win Tuesday in Indiana. The next morning, Ryan told CNN's Jake Tapper he could not yet support the businessman as the GOP nominee.
There has been a distinct split within the party over Trump's likely nomination, as some within both the conservative and establishment wings of the GOP have refused to endorse his candidacy. Meanwhile, the #NeverTrump faction continues to look for a viable third-party option.
That, apparently, was a bridge too far for Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, who reportedly demanded Trump and Ryan meet to air out their differences. He will be at the meeting Thursday, as will a contingent of Republican congressional leaders.
Ryan's office painted a slightly different version in an official statement Friday evening:
"Having both said we need to unify the party, Speaker Ryan has invited Donald Trump to meet with members of the House Republican leadership in Washington on Thursday morning to begin a discussion about the kind of Republican principles and ideas that can win the support of the American people this November. The Speaker and Mr. Trump will also meet separately, along with RNC Chairman Reince Priebus."
Ryan is beginning to feel the pressure back home, as well. Facing an unprecedented primary challenge in Wisconsin's First Congressional District, Trump ally former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the GOP's 2008 vice presidential candidate, is throwing her PAC's support behind the speaker's challenger, businessman Paul Nehlen.
Although he has not endorsed Trump, Nehlen said he would support his candidacy if he wins the Republican nomination in the First District.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details