Matt Chandler, president of the Acts 29 Network and pastor of The Village Church in Dallas, Texas, has some advice for Christians in the current political season in his latest podcast.
Chandler was joined on the podcast by one of the other lead pastors at The Village Church, Josh Patterson, and two staff members, Kyle Worley and Anne Lincoln Holibaugh. They discussed the pros and cons of the Republican and Democrat parties, as well as "what it might look like to let our Christian beliefs and values inform the way we think about laws and policies."
In the podcast, Chandler said Christians can use their "faithful presence" to shape politics. He also reminded them that God is in charge, regardless of the outcome.
"The Lord's at work in this political process," he said. "He's not panicked or nervous. He already knows who our next president is."
Among the ways Christians can bring their faithful presence to politics is to avoid engaging in it with a prideful heart, or in an idolatrous manner. They should also consider how to remain informed and engaged while keeping "God's intention" in mind.
Patterson added that the election process is a time of discernment for Christians. They should approach it with prayer, humility, and the recognition that "God is the ultimate hope."
Worley reminded listeners to rest their hopes on Christ, not on politicians or the political process, otherwise they face disappointment and disillusionment. Lincoln Holibaugh added that it's easy to become angered or frustrated about issues we have not bothered to "get into the trenches" to change, but that is lazy.
Chandler also recommended Christians become more involved in politics locally. He said he wanted to make the appeal that, if national politics seemed too overwhelming to some Christians, getting involved in local government "bears much fruit for the church."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details