The battle between Google and conservatives returned to Capitol Hill Tuesday as the tech giant's CEO assured House Judiciary Committee members he runs the corporation without partiality toward any ideology.
Specifically, GOP lawmakers pressed Google CEO Sundar Pichai on allegations of employees' anti-conservative bias and how that may unduly influence the company's business practices.
"Are America's technology companies serving as instruments of freedom or instruments of control?" House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., asked. "Because a free world depends on a free internet, we need to know that Google is on the side of the free world."
Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., noted, "By ranking pages, Google's search always favors one page over another. This process, however, turns much more sinister with allegations that Google manipulates the algorithm to favor the political party it likes."
With that in mind, California Democratic Rep. Zoe Lofgren also had some questions for Pichai on how Google's search engine works.
"If you Google the word idiot under images, a picture of Donald Trump comes up—I just did that. How would that happen?" she asked the Google CEO.
"We provide search for any time you type in a key word," Pichai replied.
However, a study from Pew reveals concerns of bias are bipartisan. Researchers found that 85 percent of Republicans and 62 percent of Democrats believe social media companies intentionally censor viewpoints they find objectionable.
Media Research Center President Brent Bozell wasted no time taking to Twitter to give the following blunt assessment of Google's denials.
"Bull," he wrote. 'We've seen lots of evidence of political bias against the right already, including efforts to influence elections. Denying the problem just makes fixing it impossible."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details