Will the populist wave that swept Donald Trump into the White House continue beyond the upcoming midterm election, even though the president's name isn't on the ballot?
Steve Hilton, host of the Fox News show The Next Revolution and author of the book Positive Populism says the trend may likely move forward because it is really a movement advanced by people from both major political parties.
"Populism isn't just a phenomenon on the right. You see it also on the left with Bernie Sanders and support for him in the 2016 campaign. So, I think working Americans generally want really big change," Hilton explained.
Appearing on the CBN News program The Global Lane, Hilton said the elite still don't understand the pent-up frustration many Americans felt for years about a Washington policy agenda that advanced globalization, automation in the economy, centralization of government and uncontrolled immigration.
"All those things benefited the people at the top. They did really well out of it. So, their lives were great and that's why I think they missed it," said Hilton. "And they didn't understand just how angry people had gotten about the fact whether they voted Republican or Democrat nothing ever seemed to change. The rich got richer and their lives seemed to get worse."
Enter Donald Trump. He tapped into the discontent of the middle class during the 2016 presidential campaign—especially in America's Rust Belt where people were left without jobs and economic security.
But does Trump really believe in populism, or did he just use it to win the White House and obtain power? Some people say the president is an elitist because he's a billionaire. So, how is Donald Trump different from other wealthy, powerful people?
"There's a difference between the elite and elitism. Elitism in my view is an ideology of some of the policies I was explaining—the globalism and so-on. It's a policy agenda, elitism that benefits the elite. You can be in the elite a member of it and reject elitism," Hilton explained.
For the rest of this story, visit our content partners at CBNNews.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer