Evangelist and humanitarian Franklin Graham says the sexual assault allegation against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh is irrelevant.
He told CBN News Tuesday, "It's just a shame that a person like Judge Kavanaugh who has a stellar record—that somebody can bring something up that he did as a teenager close to 40 years ago. That's not relevant."
He added, "We've got to look at a person's life and what they've done as an adult and are they qualified for this position, so this is just an attempt to smear him."
Graham said, "I hope the Senate is smarter than this, and they're not going to let this stop the process from moving forward and confirming this man."
When questioned about the message that such a view sends to sexual abuse victims, Graham said, "Well, there wasn't a crime committed. These are two teenagers, and it's obvious that she said no, and he respected it and walked away."
Graham then noted that Kavanaugh has denied the accusation. "He just flat-out says that's not true. Regardless if it was true, these are two teenagers, and she said no and he respected that, so I don't know what the issue is."
That's not the narrative that Christine Ford, Kavanaugh's accuser, has publicly stated.
Ford, a psychology professor, wrote a letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein in late July, accusing Kavanaugh of assaulting her at a party in a suburban Maryland home in the 1980s when they were both high school students. She described a drunken Kavanaugh pushing her into a bedroom, locking the door and getting on top of her while trying to disrobe her. She says he put his hand over her mouth, and she feared he would inadvertently kill her.
The committee is expected to vote on Kavanaugh's nomination next week.
For the rest of this story, visit our content partners at CBNNews.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details