Liberty Counsel has appealed to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals regarding the district court's denial of a preliminary injunction against a "buffer zone" ordinance, enacted by the city of Harrisburg, which prohibits pro-life speech on public sidewalks up to 70 feet outside a Planned Parenthood abortion center.
In Reilly v. City of Harrisburg, U.S. District Judge Sylvia Rambo defended the "buffer zone" ordinance, which was drafted by Planned Parenthood and passed without any debate or serious discussion by Planned Parenthood's pro-abortion allies on the Harrisburg City Council.
Liberty Counsel previously appealed to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in 2017, arguing that the district court had erroneously determined that the ordinance was unlikely to violate the First Amendment. On May 25, 2017, the Third Circuit reversed the district court's decision. In its opinion, the Third Circuit held that the district court had ignored the First Amendment's requirement that Harrisburg demonstrate that the ordinance did not unconstitutionally burden speech. It sent the case back to the district court, ordering the court to hold an evidentiary hearing on whether Harrisburg could satisfy its demanding burden. The district court acknowledged its error, but, despite critical admissions by the city, the judge ruled the city met its burden.
Liberty Counsel represents Becky Biter and Colleen Reilly, who have regularly engaged in peaceful sidewalk counseling to encourage women to protect the life of their unborn. This ordinance pushes pro-life counselors sometimes 50 feet to more than 70 feet away and prohibits their freedom of speech. Liberty Counsel has previously presented evidence concerning the ordinance's gross intrusion into Biter and Reilly's constitutional rights.
"The lower court once again sidestepped the First Amendment in order to silence pro-life speech," says Mat Staver, Founder and Chairman of Liberty Counsel. "The city of Harrisburg has a constitutional mandate to protect the free speech rights of all people in its jurisdiction, and it has no authority to discriminate on the basis of pro-life viewpoints. Public sidewalks and parks have always been protected as places where people can gather to participate in the marketplace of ideas."
For the original article, visit lc.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer