Following Monday's historic bilateral talks between President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin, the two leaders held a joint press conference at their summit in Helsinki, Finland.
Both men appeared to be optimistic about future relations between the US and Russia.
"Our relationship has never been worse; however, that changed as of four hours ago," Trump told reporters.
President Trump had referred to Russia as merely "a competitor" just days before meeting Putin, but some say Russia is actually an aggressor and has even committed acts of war against the U.S. and other countries with its cyberattacks on the U.S. election in 2016 and its efforts to conquer neighboring countries like Georgia and Ukraine.
But Trump made it clear he believed the Russian leader when Putin denied his country had any hand in meddling in U.S. political affairs.
The president went on to blame both Russia and the U.S. for rising tensions between the two countries regarding charges of election meddling.
"I hold both countries responsible. I think that the United States has been foolish. We've all been foolish," Trump said. "We should have, frankly, had this dialogue a long time ago. I think that we're all to blame. I think that the United States has now stepped forward along with Russia."
But CBN News' David Brody predicts those words might land Trump in hot water.
"Let's be honest," Brody said. "If Barack Obama had uttered those words, the conservative movement and the Republican Party would be up in arms. That's a real problem for this president to say that on the national stage."
For the rest of this story, visit our content partners at CBNNews.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer