Evangelist Franklin Graham responds to former President Jimmy Carter's recent assertion that Jesus himself would approve of gay marriage, saying the former president is "absolutely wrong."
In a short video clip of an interview published to the news website HuffPost Live Sunday and picked up by Breitbart.com, Carter spoke about his religious faith. He said as a politician he never ran across "any really serious conflicts between my political obligations and my religious faith."
When asked about gay marriage, the 39th president said "That's no problem with me. I think everybody should have a right to get married regardless of their sex."
Carter told the interviewer that the "only thing he would draw a line on is ... I wouldn't be in favor of the government being able to force a local church to perform gay marriages if they didn't want to."
The former president was then asked, "Would Jesus approve of gay marriage?"
"I believe he would. I don't have any verse in Scripture," Carter replied. "I believe that Jesus would approve of gay marriage; that's just my own personal belief. I think would Jesus would promote any love affair if it was honest or sincere and was not damaging to anyone else. And I don't see that gay marriage damages anyone else."
In a post to his Facebook page Tuesday, Graham responded to the former president, saying he would "respectfully disagree with him on this one."
"He is absolutely wrong when he said Jesus would approve of gay marriage. Jesus didn't come to promote sin, He came to save us from sin," Graham wrote. "The Bible is very clear. God destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because of homosexuality. God defines sin in His Word—it's not up to our opinion, the latest poll, or a popular vote."
For the rest of this story, visit our content partners at CBNNews.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details