Many American faith leaders, including Jentezen Franklin, Paula White-Cain and the ACLJ's Jay Sekulow, were pleased with President Trump's choice of Brett Kavanaugh Monday night as the nominee to replace the retiring Anthony Kennedy on the U.S. Supreme Court.
American Family Association President Tim Wildmon's name, however, could not be counted among theirs.
In a statement, Wildmon says Kavanaugh has demonstrated "a deficiency in a constitutional judicial philosophy of a limited judiciary" and calls on the U.S. Senate to stop the appointment of a "bad nominee."
"Judge Kavanaugh's reasoning on religious liberty, Obamacare and issues concerning life have proven to be of major concern," Wildmon said. "For these and other reasons, we are calling on citizens to urge their senators to firmly oppose the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh as a justice on the United States Supreme Court."
In the AFA's statement Monday night, Wildmon cited that "although Kavanaugh decided correctly in the court case Priests for Life v. U.S. Dep't of Health & Human Services, he wrote a moderate opinion disagreeing with the priests on a foundational constitutional religious liberty principle.
As a result of Obamacare, the faith-based organization Priests for Life and others argued that the government could not compel or force them to provide contraception and abortion-causing drugs for their employees. Kavanaugh unnecessarily conceded in his opinion that the government has a compelling interest to force religious organizations to provide contraceptives and abortifacients for employees. Kavanaugh's concession created a dangerous precedent."
It has also been argued that Kavanaugh provided the roadmap to uphold the Obama administration's health care overreach at the Supreme Court. AFA added that there are also concerns with his opinion related to illegal alien female minors who are expecting but also seeking an abortion in the United States.
"Some of his decisions may have been favorable, but several of his opinions contain problematic language," Wildmon said.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details