In a stunning reversal of a lower court decision Thursday, the U.S. Supreme Court sided with religious liberty, ruling unanimously that a Kansas woman does indeed have the right to pray in her own home.
The case, Sause v. Bauer, centers on Mary Anne Sause, a devout Catholic who was playing her radio in her home when, according to her attorneys, police were called to investigate "a minor noise complaint."
Sause says the cops harassed her and threatened to take her to jail when she asked why she would be arrested. Sause says that's when things escalated.
According to The Christian Post, when the retired nurse asked the officers for permission to pray silently, the officers allowed it and then ordered her to stop praying.
Sause later sued the officers, but their command was upheld by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
NBC reports that the courts sided with the officers, ruling that although "the conduct of the officers was unprofessional, there was no court decision finding a First Amendment violation based on facts like those in her case."
The lower court went on to say that the officers did not violate her First Amendment rights despite Sause's testimony that when she showed them a copy of the Constitution, "One officer laughed and said, 'That's just a piece of paper' and, 'That doesn't work here,'" The Christian Post reported.
But Sause took the appellate court's decision to a higher authority, a move that ultimately led to Thursday's Supreme Court victory.
For the rest of this story, visit our content partners at CBNNews.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer