Republican Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds expected a court challenge when she signed a bill into law in early May outlawing abortion after a fetal heartbeat is detected.
She's now getting one, thanks to abortion groups like Planned Parenthood.
The Des Moines Register reported Friday that Judge Michael Huppert agreed to temporarily block the most restrictive abortion law in the country from taking effect in July under a deal struck between the state and a handful of abortion rights groups, including Planned Parenthood, the American Civil Liberties Union of Iowa and the Emma Goldman Clinic.
The advocacy groups contend that the legislation signed into law by Reynolds, which bans most abortions if a fetal heartbeat is detected, is unconstitutional. They argue that the law "violates Iowa women's due-process rights, their rights to liberty, safety and happiness and their rights to equal protection under Iowa's constitution.
Iowa lawmakers approved the bill on May 2 and, two days later, Reynolds signed into law. Should the law take effect, abortions would be banned around the sixth week of pregnancy. The Register reported that the advocacy groups contend that many women are not even aware they are pregnant at such a time.
The Register reported that Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller "refused to defend the law." In his place, the Thomas More Society, a conservative Chicago-based law firm, has agreed to handle defense of the law—for free.
The Register also reported that filing the lawsuit in state court could "thwart" Thomas More Society's goal of "taking a legal challenge to the U.S. Supreme Court, with the hope of overturning Roe v Wade, the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that stated women have a constitutionally protected right to abortion.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details