U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday approved the release of a classified Republican memo that alleges bias against him at the FBI and Justice Department, in an extraordinary showdown with his own senior law enforcement officials over the probe into alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election.
Trump told reporters he had sent the memo to Congress and it was now declassified, adding that the contents of the controversial document tell a disgraceful story and that "a lot of people should be ashamed."
The four-page document was expected to be made public later on Friday, Fox News reported, citing unidentified sources.
Trump, a Republican, has repeatedly complained about his treatment by federal investigators who are probing possible collusion between his campaign and Russia to sway the 2016 presidential election, and any actions to impede the investigation.
The document has become a flashpoint in a battle between Republicans and Democrats over Special Counsel Robert Mueller's probe.
It was commissioned by the Republican chairman of the House of Representatives Intelligence Committee, Devin Nunes. It purports to show that the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Justice Department misled a U.S. court in seeking to extend electronic surveillance of Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, multiple sources familiar with it have said.
Two days ago, in a rare public rebuke of the president and Republicans in Congress who are pushing to release the classified memo, the FBI said it had "grave concerns about material omissions of fact" in the document and it should not be made public.
Democrats have depicted the memo, which was crafted by Republican members of the intelligence panel, as misleading, based on a selective use of highly classified data and intended to discredit Mueller's work.
Russia has denied meddling in the election campaign. Trump, calling Mueller's probe a political witch hunt, has denied collusion or obstruction of justice.
Reporting by Susan Heavey, Doina Chiacu and Justin Mitchell in Washington, and Amanda Becker in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va; Writing by Doina Chiacu and Alistair Bell; Editing by Frances Kerry
© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer