The case of Jack Phillips came before the U.S. Supreme Court Tuesday as he fights for his right to live and work according to his Christian faith.
He's the Colorado baker who was sued for refusing to design a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.
While he's now willing to losing everything for his faith, he says that hasn't always been the case.
Phillips and his wife were raised in Christian homes but had never accepted the faith of their parents.
According to Alliance Defending Freedom, the group defending Phillips before the Supreme Court, his decision for Christ came years later, like a thunderbolt.
Phillips says he was driving home from work one night when he heard God speak.
"I just felt like God came into my car and convicted me of my sins. It just took a few seconds. 'You're a sinner. You need a Savior. It's Jesus Christ.'
"I said, 'You're right. Let me clean up my life.'
"He said, 'You can't.'
"I said, 'You're right. I'm Yours.' So I gave my life to Christ, driving home from work," Phillips said.
Telling his wife was easier than he'd expected. He was afraid she would leave him for becoming a Christian, but instead, she said she'd decided to follow Christ three days earlier.
That changed everything for the couple, and they set out to honor God in all they did. That took on a new meaning to Phillips when he opened Masterpiece Cakeshop 24 years ago.
He never imagined God would call him to stand for the religious rights and artistic freedoms of all Americans, but he says he's happy to take a stand to honor God.
Reprinted with permission from CBN.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer