Last year, shortly after the election, the ACLJ issued its Agenda for the Future. We urged the incoming administration to immediately repeal and replace ObamaCare with a focus on the advancement of a patient-centered, consumer-driven program that emphasizes choice and competition.
Today, we renew our commitment to ending the individual mandate. The individual mandate forces most Americans to purchase health insurance coverage. Individuals who decline or cannot obtain coverage must pay a fine, or as the Supreme Court defined it, a "tax," of 2.5 percent of their household income or $695 a person, whichever is higher. This approach requires many individuals to purchase policies they do not want, and they cannot afford. According to the IRS, in 2016, approximately seven million people reported paying the tax for not having coverage the year before.
As we have previously observed, in response to Congress's colossal failures to enact their prior health care reform proposals, Americans are fed up with ObamaCare. Encouragingly, our previous legal efforts have helped to eviscerate Obama's abortion-pill mandate.
Now, we are heartened by a new Senate proposal to end the ObamaCare mandate as part of their tax reform proposal. In fact, tax reform is the perfect means to end this onerous requirement. If the Obamacare individual mandate penalty was upheld by the Supreme Court because it was a "tax," then it should be the first "tax" to be cut.
Although, we recognize that many hurdles remain and that Senate procedural rules limit what can be done through tax reform, it is manifest that now is the time to unconditionally end the individual mandate. This is the first necessary step in a process that dismantles ObamaCare once and for all. We and the American people are fed up with delays and excuses, now is time to end the individual mandate and restore heath care choice to the American people.
For the original article, visit aclj.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer