With each passing hour, it seems more and more likely that constitutional attorney David French, who is currently a staff writer for the Weekly Standard, will launch a conservative independent presidential bid in protest over Donald Trump winning the GOP nomination.
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus took a dim view of those efforts Thursday morning during an interview with nationally syndicated radio host Hugh Hewitt. Asked about his thoughts on a French candidacy, the GOP leader said those involved in the #NeverTrump campaign were now "embarrassing themselves."
"I don't really know him," he said. "I think it's a little bit of a—look, I don't want to say anything disparaging against the guy because I don't know him, and I'm sure he's a good person, but I think it's also just a sort of suicide mission and a huge distraction.
"I don't see it going anywhere. I think in order to be a viable third-party candidate, I think you have to have national name ID and a ton of cash in order to get even a blip on the radar. So I don't really even think about it, Hugh. I think it's sort of silly, to tell you the truth. I have to say—I think the people involved with it are embarrassing themselves."
Much of the interview instead focused on the Republican Party's unification efforts. Priebus said those efforts were going quite well, in fact better than they did in 2012 when former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney was the nominee.
"I don't think it could be going any smoother," he told Hewitt. "Now, you know, we have a lot more resources here than we used to have too, though. Four years ago, we had about four full-time people in Ohio, and today, we're pushing 53.
"I mean, it's just a different RNC. We've put over $100 million in data, and we have hundreds of thousands of people across the country. We didn't have that four years ago. We do now. And I think the Trump campaign really appreciates that, and they're working with us, and we're raising money together."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details