Former Virginia Governor Jim Gilmore on Thursday formally joined the crowded field seeking the Republican presidential nomination for the 2016 election.
"I'm a candidate for president because our current Washington leadership is guiding America on a path to decline and I can reverse that decline," Gilmore said in a video announcement.
Gilmore, 65, who served as Virginia's governor from 1998 to 2002, becomes the 17th candidate to enter the Republican field.
He briefly sought the 2008 Republican nomination before dropping out.
Businessman Donald Trump has taken a commanding lead in the Republican race with 25 percent support in a Reuters/Ipsos poll released this week. Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush is in second place with 12 percent.
The first official Republican debate will be held next Thursday evening in Cleveland. It will be limited to the top 10 candidates based on national polling, a threshold Gilmore is unlikely to make.
The other presidential hopefuls will participate in a forum earlier in the day.
© 2015 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.