President Obama's father may have been willing to put the child that bears his name up for adoption, according to documents a Boston Globe reporter obtained.
While a sophomore at the University of Hawaii in 1961, the president's father, Barack Obama Sr., was under scrutiny by federal immigration officials who were concerned that he had more than one wife, according to the Globe. Having more than one wife was grounds for deportation back to Kenya.
"When he was questioned by the school's foreign student adviser, the 24-year-old Obama insisted that he had divorced his wife in his native Kenya. Although his new wife, Ann Dunham, was five months pregnant with their child—who would be called Barack Obama II—Obama declared that they intended to put their child up for adoption," the Globe reports.
The revelations are part of Sally H. Jacobs' new book The Other Barack: The Bold and Reckless Life of President Obama's Father. Jacobs is basing her book on 1961 immigration forms she obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, as well as interviews.
The book excerpt, which appeared in the Globe, indicates that it isn't clear whether the senior Obama truly intended to put his son up for adoption or if he was making up the story to avoid trouble with immigration officials. Specifically, the elder Obama told immigration officials that Dunham was "making arrangements with the Salvation Army to give the baby away."
"Ann Dunham had good reason to consider surrendering her child," Jacobs writes. "At the time that she gave birth in 1961, Dunham was just 18 years old, and mixed-race marriage—while legal in Hawaii—was a felony in many of the 22 states in which it was banned. Even in Hawaii, the only state at the time with a nonwhite majority, blacks accounted for less than 1 percent of the population, and a black face drew curious stares on the streets of Honolulu."
Among others, Jacobs interviewed former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, who said the president was unaware of any plans for adoption and did not believe his mother had seriously considered giving him up.
"I never heard any talk of adoption whatsoever,'' Charles Payne, Dunham's uncle, told Jacobs. "Ann decided she had done this and this was her child and she was going to take care of him. From day one, as far as I could tell, she and Madelyn [Dunham] and Stanley [Dunham] were all completely committed to Barack."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details