First, CoverGirl dubs its first cover boy, complete with glittery makeup. Now, pastors across the nation are mixing purple glitter into ashes for Ash Wednesday.
Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent in the Western church world. It's a liturgical practice marked by fasting, prayer and sacrifice that starts 46 days before Easter.
"I think it's really important for the church to respond to the intolerance and culture of fear that is being created especially toward LGBTQ people," April Gutierrez, pastor of Berry United Methodist, told the Chicago Tribune. Ash Wednesday, she told the paper, is a moment for believers to remember who they are called to be as Christians.
Some are calling this blasphemy, but Marian Edmonds-Allen, executive director of a faith-based organization that works to empower LGBT and allied people, disagrees.
"In fact, the whole point of Glitter Ash Wednesday is to reflect the deep, somber, serious faith in Jesus' life, death and resurrection that millions of queer Christians have," she says. "And yes, there are millions of us queer and queer-positive Christians. Surprised? No wonder, because the lie gets told over and over again that 'God hates (obscenity)' and that homosexuality is sinful. Precious few queer Christians survive the hate and make it through to become visible members of the church."
I don't believe God hates homosexuals, but homosexuality is absolutely a sin. The truth is God loves homosexuals but hates the sin because it separates Him from the creation He loved so much He sent His only begotten Son to die (John 3:16). Glitter Ash Wednesday is just one more demonic propaganda tool to mainstream perversion.
What's our response as a church? Pray, prophesy and preach the unadulterated gospel of Jesus Christ.
The gospel is good news, but Satan has blinded the minds of those who don't believe (2 Cor. 4:4). We need to pray that the blinders are removed. We need to prophesy life and not curse people trapped in homosexuality. And we need to stand firm on the truth, because that's what sets people free.
Jennifer LeClaire is senior leader of Awakening House of Prayer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, founder of the Ignite Network and founder of the Awakening Blaze prayer movement. She is author of over 25 books. Find her online at jenniferleclaire.org or email her at email@example.com.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details