5) We need to nurture world changers in every realm of society.
The Bible teaches us that we need to have an intergenerational approach. This is done when we catechize our biological and spiritual children so that they can be trained to apply the Bible to everyday life. By doing this, we will nurture the greatest leaders the world has ever seen just like the church of old did when they had the greatest artists, scientists, writers, politicians and educators that transformed Europe and North America! Up until the mid 1800s the church not only cared for the down and out but also nurtured the 'up and in" cultural elites that became the mind molders that influenced culture. Nowadays, instead of starting world-class universities like Harvard and Yale, the church shuns higher education and encourages emerging leaders merely to attend their little Bible institutes! As long as we are afraid of higher education we will never ascend to the head of culture. It is time for believers to become the "cultural elites" of society so that we can lead our communities with wisdom and justice!
6) We should welcome unbelievers into our church community even before they accept Christ as Lord and Savior.
Churches who think biblically but speak secularly are in the habit of embracing their community even before they accept Jesus Christ as Lord! Instead of getting the community to come into the church we need to send church members out to our communities as servant leaders. The church can become a hotbed of community activity in which those outside the church believe that the church building is now their community center for a wealth of information, resources and even community board meetings. In this way, the people on the outside of the church will feel comfortable with the people of the church and will be more inclined to step inside the sanctuary for a Sunday service
7) We should produce problem solvers for the greatest global challenges.
I believe the time has arrived when the world will come to pastors and believers for advice and answers on how to deal with the pressing problems they are facing in their community. The church should not only produce the greatest prayer warriors and worshippers the world has ever seen, but it should also produce the greatest thinkers, entrepreneurs and strategists the world has ever seen. Presently, the world is waiting for a person to articulate answers regarding our failing economy, global terrorism, cures for cancer and AIDS, environmental issues, disaster relief strategies and more. Why shouldn't people representing the kingdom of God come up with these solutions?
8) Christians need to improve the quality of life in their communities to demonstrate transformation.
Talk is cheap. The world doesn't need another book about the dire problems we have in our cities—we need people to produce lasting change that will greatly benefit the quality of life who will then write it down in a book and teach us. I am sick of hearing people prophesying and preaching about reformation—God is looking for churches and people to at least create a community model others can look to for replication in their own cities. Isaiah 61:1-4 teaches that the restoration of cities—not just the salvation of individual sinners—is proof of the gospel Jesus preached.
Want to know more about the next great move of God? Click here to see Jennifer LeClaire's new book, featuring Dutch Sheets, Reinhard Bonnke, Jonathan Cahn, Billy Graham and others.
Joseph Mattera is overseeing bishop of Resurrection Church and Christ Covenant Coalition, in Brooklyn, New York, and author of numerous books, including Ruling in the Gates: Preparing the Church to Transform Cities. Follow him on Facebook or visit him online at josephmattera.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details