As a minister I've been privileged over the years to be in all kinds of meetings. There are always participators and spectators who attend—believers, skeptics and at times even mockers, scoffers and scorners.
I would say that the meetings most people have a difficult time receiving, embracing and participating in are the Holy Ghost meetings that exude much joy, laughter, dancing and wild demonstrations. Concerning these type of meetings, I've heard the following criticisms from various Christians:
1. We need to reverence God and not carry on with such foolishness.
2. These are fleshly manifestations and emotionalism.
3. These manifestations are not scriptural. Show me that in the Word!
4. If it's God there will be change in the people, but if their lives don't change then it's not God.
These types of critical comments are a failure in Christians to understand the multifaceted nature and personality of God. He is not always serious.
The Holy Ghost has many moods. Sometimes the Father plays with His children and He lets His children play. Irreverence would be to not enter into the mood that the Holy Ghost is manifesting at the moment. Irreverence is to be serious when it's time to play.
God said He would pour out of His Spirit on all flesh beginning in Acts 2. Often when this happens there are wild manifestations. People are filled with the Holy Ghost and joy, singing and laughter. People run, dance and shout. In the presence of the Lord there is fullness of joy (Ps. 16:11).
Have you ever seen a drunk man? How does he act? Often they display some very wild, unusual and funny behavior, don't they? It's the same with being drunk in the Spirit.
"Be not drunk with wine wherein is excess but filled (or be drunk) with the Holy Spirit" (Eph. 5:18).
And yes, people do change and are transformed in God's presence. But soon they will be sober again, and will need to fill up once more. I've seen people healed, delivered and set free from all kinds of oppression and bondage.
Many Christians only know one side of God or one mood and stream of the Holy Ghost. Denominations and different streams of faith are usually only familiar with their particular brand or stream of how God manifests Himself within their group. And frankly, in many places He is hardly ever allowed to manifest Himself at all.
As I stated, God is multifaceted in His character and personality, and the Holy Ghost has many moods. We've already mentioned the joy and hilarity by which the Lord manifests Himself at times. Here are other moods and atmospheres by which God manifests:
1. The fear of the Lord – This is what happened in Acts 5 when Ananias and Sapphira were struck dead for lying to the Holy Ghost. I've been in meetings where the Spirit of the fear of the Lord was in manifestation, and you could hear a pin drop. Everyone was quiet and reverent or on their faces weeping. No one could talk; no one wanted to talk because the atmosphere was so impregnated with a holy fear.
2. The miracle atmosphere – This is when God flexes His muscles and manifests His power to heal all kinds of sicknesses and diseases. People are delivered of various ailments, the lame walk, the blind see, and demons are cast out or they just leave. The people witnessed this in Samaria through the ministry of Philip (Acts 8).
3. The sweetness of the Lord – This is an anointing that touches people deep in their emotions. It manifests in healing for broken hearts and people who are desperate and hurting. It is the Lord moving in His kindness and compassion. We see this continually in the ministry of Jesus.
When the Holy Ghost manifests Himself in these various ways just flow with it and participate. Don't stand back and criticize it because you don't understand it or are not familiar with it. Do not quench the Spirit.
Judge everything not only by the Word but by the anointing and the presence of God that is there. Are people being healed and delivered? Are they being filled with the Spirit? Are they being blessed and helped? If so, then rejoice in what the Lord is doing. Thank God He is not boring.
The final wave of the great outpouring of the Holy Ghost in these last days will be a great tsunami and will be a culmination of all other previous waves. I believe it will be the wave that will take us into the shores of heaven.
Get acquainted with your Father. Get to know the multifaceted personality and moods of the Holy Ghost, and the manifold wisdom of God. Receive all the Lord has for you. Go outside your own camp if you have to.
Be glad and rejoice in the goodness of God and all He is doing.
Bert M. Farias, revivalist and founder of Holy Fire Ministries, is the author of several books including The Real Spirit of Revival and the newly released My Son, My Son—a beautiful father-son memoir co-written with his son Daniel for the purpose of training up a holy generation. He ministers inter-denominationally and cross-culturally in nations, churches, conferences, on the streets, and in homes. He and his wife also host The Holy Ghost Forum—a school of the Spirit. Follow him at Bert Farias and Holy Fire Ministries on Facebook or @Bertfarias1 on Twitter.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details