President Donald Trump commuted the sentence of Israeli-born Ronen (Boaz) Nahmani, father of five, after receiving heartfelt letters from the man's children asking him to let their dad come home because their mom is dying of cancer.
Ynet reports that Trump made the decision after receiving letters from three of Nachmani's children: Ariella (11), Orel (10) and Danielle (8).
"Mr. Nahmani is a non-violent, first-time offender with no criminal history. He has five young children at home and his wife is suffering from terminal cancer. These extenuating circumstances underscore the urgency of his request for clemency," read the White House Statement released on July 29.
Nahmani, a Florida resident, was sentenced in 2015 to 20 years for conspiracy to distribute a synthetic drug he purchased from suppliers in China, Ynet reports.
The statement also noted the wide support for Nahmani's release among politicians.
"Members of Congress and a broad cross-section of the legal community have expressed support for clemency for Mr. Nahmani," the statement read.
Nachmani's children had written Trump asking for clemency.
Thirteen-year-old Ariella wrote, "I am sure you have heard about my family's situation and how my family was treated unfairly and just thinking about it makes my eyes tear and every Sunday for those few precious hours that we have with him I am miserable because I know that I will be the one to be going home and he will have to stay in that dreadful place."
Ten-year-old Orel wrote, "Mommy is always tired and always doesn't feel good. She is always said [sic] and cries but you see she is always sick and doesn't have strenght [sic]."
Nachmani was represented by star lawyers Alan Dershowitz and Gary Apfel.
Apfel represented Sholom Rubashkin, a kosher food businessman and Chabad member whose sentence Trump also commuted in 2017.
Are you or is someone you know struggling with cancer? Receive hope from the Holy Spirit as you listen to these testimonies below:
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details