The Word says God instructed Moses to speak to the children of Israel these words: "Now, therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And you shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation" (Exod. 19:5-6).
Paul spoke similar words in his letter in Titus. "Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works" (Titus 2:14).
Peter also speaks of a peculiar people in 1 Peter 2:9. "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light" (KJV).
The Exodus passage speaks of Israel as a peculiar people. Paul and Peter speak of believers in Jesus Christ (both Jew and Gentile) as peculiar people. The Hebrew word for peculiar is "a jewel, a treasure, good, and proper." The Greek work for peculiar is "being beyond usual, a special purchased possession, and set apart for a purpose."
It never bothers me for people to say I'm a little different or I'm religious. In fact, I have the reputation in my neighborhood as the lady who prays or "the church lady." A neighbor I hardly knew asked me to pray for her husband who needed surgery. As believers we are set apart for a purpose, and God sees us as a precious treasure purchased by Him when Jesus died on the cross for us.
We had the privilege of hosting two missionaries in our guest room. The couple had given up everything to be on the mission field, including a very successful dental practice. This dentist and his wife were available to go wherever the Lord wanted to send them. All they wanted to do while they visited us was to be out witnessing and sharing the gospel with others. The Lord spoke to me one night as I was going to sleep, and only a wall separated the head of their bed from the head of our bed. The Lord said, "You are hosting two of My precious, peculiar people." I didn't understand what that meant then, but I do now.
READ: Exodus 17:8-19:15; Matthew 22:33-23:12; Psalm 27:8-14; Proverbs 6:27-35
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details