One hundred and twenty-eight leaders from the Pentecostal Church of God Sunday pledged support for Israel and an undivided Jerusalem when they presented Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat with a signed a declaration.
General Bishop Charles Scott said the group's visit represents more than symbolism. "Understanding the theology of the situation is paramount," Scott said. "We intend this to be a juggernaut," he added.Bishop Charles Scott (left) and Mayor Nir Barkat
He said the ripple effect of the group's visit to the Holy Land would reach a quarter million of the church's constituents. The goal, Scott said, is education about Israel through literature and media, and ultimately, tourism to Israel.
The 91-year-old denomination was founded in Chicago in 1919. Its membership consists of 620,000 people in 60 nations. Of the 37 districts in the United States, more than half were represented on the trip, and most participants were first-time visitors to Israel.
The group met the mayor at Jerusalem's city council chambers and presented him with a written declaration.
"We wanted this to be a demonstration that we really supported Israel, not just in declaration but in covenant," said Wayman Ming Jr., general secretary of the Pentecostal Church of God.
Robert Stearns, director of Eagles' Wings ministry, which hosted the trip as part of its Watchmen on the Walls program, told Barkat the large delegation was evidence that "a new kind of Christian was coming forth on this earth." He said, "We will not remain silent in support of Israel."
Barkat said group members were "shareholders in the city." He urged the leaders to go back to their members and encourage more trips to Israel. Tourism also blesses Jerusalem by creating new jobs for Israel's poorest city, he noted.
Barkat was elected mayor of Israel's capital city in 2008, and one of his goals is to bring 10 million tourists a year to Jerusalem. Representatives from Eagles' Wings and the Pentecostal Church of God committed to making the mayor's goal a reality.
Nicole Jansezian writes for Travelujah (www.travelujah.com), an online social networking community focused on learning about the Holy Land and providing Christian interest travell products and services to Christians worldwide. Photo courtesy of Travelujah.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details