David knew the secret of the quiet place, and he had to constantly focus to remain in this quiet place. He writes, "Thou preparest a table for me in the presence of mine enemies" (Ps. 23:5, KJV). David had many enemies. However, he knew he was not fighting against flesh and blood. He knew his true enemy was Satan. David knew the secret to overcoming Satan.
When Saul chased after him to kill him, David wrote, "Where can I flee from Your presence?" (Ps. 139:7). The presence of the Lord was always much stronger than the presence of the enemy to David. No matter what difficult situation David encountered, he knew the Lord was ever before him. He wrote, "Your face is ever before me."
For over seven years David had to flee from Saul, and his favorite hiding place was Engedi. We have visited Engedi many times on our trips to Israel, and it was easy to see why David chose such a spot for his hiding place.
It is an oasis in the middle of the area around the Dead Sea where flowing falls cascade from cliffs laden with lush green trees. Each cliff contains a multitude of caves. Saul knew this was David's secret refuge, and it was at Engedi that David cut the hem of Saul's garment while he was asleep. David later repented for touching God's anointed.
Could it be that as we hide ourselves in our special pavilion of God's presence the enemy is surrounding us, watching our every move? It is true that we are not only surrounded by a host of angels, but we are also surrounded by hosts of demonic spirits that seek to destroy us. Yet, in the midst of our enemies, God has prepared a feast for us, and the presence of the Lord is so bright at this table He has prepared for us that we are not even aware of the darkness that surrounds us.
As long as we remain at this table where we feast on His Word and talk with the Lord, the enemy is helpless to penetrate the shield of light that surrounds us. In the presence of the Lord is joy and pleasures forever more. Even though the enemy surrounds us, we are also compassed about by the Lord's songs of deliverance. David writes, "Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble" (Ps. 32:7, KJV).
Nothing can separate us from the love of God-neither death, nor life, neither principalities nor powers. What a comfort it is to know His presence in the midst of our enemies. We can be at peace.
Thank You, Lord, for Your abiding peace.
READ: Exodus 30:11-31:18; Matthew 26:47-68; Psalm 32:1-11; Proverbs 8:27-32
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details