When S. finished high school in Rishon Lezion, he wanted to do the pilots’ course in the Israel Air Force, but was rejected.
“I told them that since I was just 7, I have been crazy about planes and that I had seen every exhibit possible and learned all I could about planes and flying them. But they told me that my personal background rating was too low. I tried persuading them, but it was no use,” S. said.
Dejected, he enlisted instead to the Israel Defense Forces’ elite intelligence gathering unit, 8200, completed an officers’ training course and returned to his unit as a commander. At that time, he heard that the air force was again opening trials for the pilots’ course and he decided to try his luck again.
“I was denied again because of my personal background rating. It didn’t matter that I was already an officer. I submitted an appeal and I was rejected again. Finally, due to all my pestering, I got a phone call from an air force officer asking me to stop trying,” S. said.
But he refused to give up.
“I began asking anyone I could think of to put in a recommendation for me,” S. said. “The Air Force telling me ‘no’ made me angry; it disappointed me and also challenged me. At the end, they apparently got sick of me bugging them, invited me to the tryouts and accepted me into the course. All of a sudden I found myself in basic training and saluting sergeants. But it didn’t bother me. I was happy the whole time.”
S. knew his chances of successfully completing the course were slim, but his determination pushed him along.
“I knew my chances of becoming a fighter pilot were almost zero, but at least I gave it everything I had. I knew that even if I finished the course but wasn’t assigned to be a fighter pilot, then I would at least be an air crewman, and that is also a dream come true.”
As the days passed and S. proceeded through the course, he began to understand that despite everything, he was close to fulfilling his dream. “When they told me I was a fighter pilot, it was the happiest moment of my life. I had tears in my eyes,” he said.
The ups and downs S. encountered along the way have left him with one message for others: “Make a decision and pursue it with all your strength. Don’t give up, work hard and be the best. Maybe it won’t always work out, but it’s worth a shot.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details